Wednesday, 2 February 2011

It's crêpes day!

2nd February in France is to me one of the best days of the year. For the simple reason, that we eat and eat and eat crêpes, and more crêpes, and mooooore crêpes and drink lots of cider. It is absolutely deeeeelicious! I have been waiting for tonight's dinner impatiently all day. I don't know whether to first have a crêpe with ham & cheese, with sliced tomatoe, or ham & cheese, mushrooms with an egg too.... or it that a bit too much?! and for desert, my two favourites: sugar and fresh lemon juice, and the very famous nutella crêpe which goes absolutely everywhere when you eat it. A real mess!

I was chatting to my friend Peggy earlier today on gmail, and she told me that in the States, they celebrate Groundhog day. I'm not American and I had no idea that there was a day dedicated to groundhogs. So she explained, and I quote here 'we wait to see if the groundhog sees his shadow...if yes, it's 6 more weeks of winter, if no, then spring will arrive'
well that's all very cute, but I'm not a big fan of the waiting game. I much prefer to eat home-made crêpes!

It's easy and fun to do. Just like making pancakes really. The hardest part, if you're clumsy like me, is to flip the crêpe! Although I've just impressed myself, I managed to do a double flip, and then tried to throw one onto a plate, but it was a total fail, it landed on the floor...

Here's a very easy recipe:

Ingredients:

300g of flour
3 eggs
3 spoonfuls of sugar
50g of melted sugar
about 50cl of milk
2 spoonfuls of rum (ooo yes, very important)
a pinch of salt

Recipe:

Place the flour in a large bowl and make a hole in the center. Add the 3 eggs, the sugar and the salt in the center of the flour.
Pour the milk gradually while stirring the mixture with a whisk to avoid lumps. (we don't like lumps, so whisk well, its good exercice!)
Add the melted butter, the rum and oil (the oil avoids the mixture not to stick to the pan). Leave the mixture to rest for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Et voilà, now you can start making good pancakes!


And as we're approaching Valentine's Day, here's a crêpe to warm your heart! It is harder to do than it appears! (sorry about the mess, I did say I'm clumsy).


Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment